On Groundhog Day: How's the Weather in London?


The question usually comes in a sympathetic voice through half snarling lips, "How's the weather ... in London?"

After living here through all four seasons, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to let in on reality. I guess it also depends on if I'm answering friends from New York or Texas. There hasn't been any snow this season. And the amount of snow that shut down airports LAST season in London wouldn't have even caused LIRR or Metro North delays.  

Plus it hasn't been cold (New England standards.) As for rain- oh that London rain!!! If it falls, it's for a brief period followed by gorgeous crisp sunny skies. ( I guess like Florida.)


And get this- a common term used by weather people on TV here- is CHANGEABLE.  That's the forecast. Not mostly sunny or partly cloudy. Changeable. (I guess like Florida and Texas... and .... )

Since it's Ground Hog day, and since winter hasn't really began yet in London (New England standards) I thought I should report that Denis Dog saw his shadow in the UK.

I've read there is a bit of controversy in the states whether there will be six more months of winter or an early spring since Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow (six more months) and Staten Island Chuck did not see his shadow (early spring.) I read it on a breaking news email alert from ABC 7.  I'm still subscribed. Here is the link. 

As for my former station, News 12 Connecticut,
I can't really tell if my favorite weather man Paul Piorek saw his shadow, but he did wear photojournalist Lori Golias' groundhog hat. Lori and I spent several years covering the big event, usually checking in with Bridgeport's Beardsley Bart.

(If and when I find a copy of that piece I'll post it here. I like a good laugh at myself now and then.)

I don't know of any ground hog celebrations here in London, but then I have to admit I didn't really dig around. I did find that next Monday the movie Groundhog Day is showing  at The Prince Charles Cinema.
 It's part of the cinema's "double BILL season." Following Groundhog Day is Animal House.  It doesn't just mean Bill Murray. Clerks and Clerks 2 is coming up- and so is Dirty Dancing with Flashdance.

Quite a good find- if you are in London you can see movies you've already seen elsewhere. Just kidding. This looks like a place to keep an eye one, especially for independent film makers. I'm glad I googled groundhog day London.