Battleship Texas

So many "100 year" celebrations this year.

Chevrolet is celebrating it's 100 year anniversary.(Click for 1912 pic.)
Grand Central Station is 100. (Okay so it was actually complete in 2013. But it took a decade to build and a "celebrating 100 years" sign is currently on display.)
Bryron Nelson, Eva Braun and Woodie Guthrie would have all turned 100.
In March of 1912 Tokyo gave Washington D.C. 3,000 cherry trees.
Of course all the media won't let us forget the Titanic.
And there is another ship with a centennial this year.
Battleship Texas.

I only paused to click on the information because I saw Battleship Texas is part of the San Jacinto Battleground State Historic Site, and just recently on a drive from Houston I stopped to take pictures of the monument. After spending time in London and seeing all the memorial obelisks, I was interested in seeing the "world's tallest monumental column."
However I didn't notice Battleship Texas. But then I didn't go to the site, just pulled over on the side of the road. Maybe I did capture the Battleship in my pics? Nope. Looking back, doesn't look like it. I got a nice sunset.
I've probably read about Battleship Texas in the past, I just don't recall. I guess that is why we have 100-year celebration reminders.
According to the state media release, Battleship Texas was launched May 18, 1912 and "served the country in both World War I and World War II and was the only battleship to serve in all theaters during the last world war."
(READ the release here for details of the Saturday, May 19th event.)
It goes on to say she (oh, it's a girl!) "was presented to the State of Texas and commissioned as the flagship of the Texas Navy on San Jacinto Day, 1948 and retired on the site of the San Jacinto Battleground, the state’s most significant victory. She has served as a museum memorial since 1948 and is anchored on the Buffalo Bayou and the Houston Ship Channel."

In all honesty I had to look up details of the Battle of San Jacinto. Wikipedia not only offered a concise description, it gave options to read of other San Jacinto battles.
"Disambiguation"
As for the event that happened where Ms. Battleship Texas is stationed, most websites sum it up at the "decisive battle of the Texas Revolution." Led by General Sam Houston, it's said to be a fight that lasted a mere 18 minutes and delivered Texas it's independence from Mexico.
However it happened in 1836.
So while this summer we remember 200 years since the War of 1812, we'll have to wait until 2036 for a proper bicentennial bash for the Battle of San Jacinto.